Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Un-Blocked!

A long, long time ago - three years and one month to be exact - there was The Great Bird Debate.  You may or may not recall (most likely the latter) that I wanted to get chickens but was told that I could not because they were "filthy creatures".  Shawn, on the other hand, wanted to get a house for Purple Martins.

Fast forward three years to my now uber-healthy husband who wants to eat farm fresh eggs; and what does he want to get?  You guessed it - chickens.
 
The boys set up seats in the mudroom
for chick-watching <3

These cuties are holed up in a horse trough in my mudroom.  Why, yes, you read that correctly - I now have a horse trough in my house!
The yellow gal in the back is a Light Brahma; the dark yellow one in the center and the darkest one at the left are Easter Eggers; the other three are Rhode Island Reds.

Funny thing about buying chickens:  they make you buy a minimum of six chickens.  They are small and relatively inexpensive, so this in and of itself is not a big deal.  What is a big deal is that chicken coops apparently generally are capable of housing 4-5 grown chickens.  Now who's bright idea was this?  It's like the hotdog:bun ratio; they sell hotdogs in packages of eight and buns in packages of 10.  The only plausible explanation for this is it must be a conspiracy - I can think of no other good reason.


The Dream Coop
So I'm on the hunt for a chicken coop for six chickens.  In fact, it really needs to house seven chickens because we want to get a rooster to help protect the chickens.   Now, for those of you that know me, you will be fully aware that an ugly chicken coop is not going to work for me.  It has to be cute - otherwise, what exactly is the point of all of this? 
This one is my favorite - you'll be shocked to know they say it houses 3-4 chickens.  I'm still trying to figure out how to improvise with it.  Otherwise, Shawn may have to build a coop for me!

And for those of you keeping score on The Great Bird Debate - no, we do not own a Purple Martin house ;)


1 comment:

  1. I love reading your posts!!! Good luck on finding your chicken coop. :-)

    ReplyDelete