Sunday, September 25, 2011

Halfway to 70

Another birthday has passed.  I'm halfway to 70 and can now officially run for president in the next presidential election - I think this may be the last remaining exciting age-goal in life.  It's much more exciting to watch my kids have birthdays than myself these days.  Shawn asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I've stalled so long on deciding what I wanted that I've now been given money (which is fine by me!).

For my birthday my parents drove my mom's piano from Kansas City to Indy for me.  I had been looking into getting a piano for a while, and mom can't play anymore with her arthritis.  She bought the piano twenty-five years ago.  I remember going to the store and trying out all of the different  pianos.  I also still remember it being delivered to the house.  The piano sat in the same spot in mom's house for all of these years - in the "piano room" no less! 

My grandmother played the piano, my mom played the piano, and my sister and I took lessons when we were younger.  Mari and I hated our piano lessons.  The old lady who taught us was weird, and to be frank, her house smelled old and was a little creepy!  I also played the violin in elementary and middle school so I already had experience with music and reading it.  When I was in highschool, my best friend and I took a piano class as one of our senior electives.  We liked it so much we took it for two semesters.  This is where I learned how to play the piano (with both hands) the most.  My favorite song to practice is Fur Elise by Beethoven.  I've not mastered the left hand yet (actually, I haven't mastered the right hand yet -  I haven't even begun with the left!), but I hope to get there someday.

Mostly though, I wanted the piano for the boys.  I want them to be able to learn how to enjoy and appreciate music the way I do - or to at least be exposed to it so they can have the opportunity to learn music if they like.  I'm secretly hoping I'll have a little classical pianist too (shh!).  Colton has shown the most promise so far.  He really enjoys listeing to music and singing songs.  This doesn't necessarily translate into a professional musician, but I'll consider it a good start!  So far the boys have more fun banging on the keys and using the bench as a toy table, but I figure it will either come to them or I'll have more time to use it for myself!  First lesson on the list for the boys?  Chopsticks of course!

Here's to the second half of seventy - cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Ah! Half of 70! I hadn't thought of it like that...thanks! I took a piano class my senior year as well and didn't remember that at all until I read it in your post. Pretty funny considering I can only play Mary Had a Little Lamb and the intro to Home Sweet Home by Motley Crue, one handed of course! My grandmother played the piano well and one of my favorite memories from childhood is singing while she played. I feel the same way about wanting to have my kids have an appreciation for music. I want them to learn an instrument if not several. My son is taking drum lessons and I hope he wants to eventually start the guitar!

    ReplyDelete