Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Vegetable Garden

Shawn has done an amazing job on his first vegetable garden - it looks wonderful!  We have already pulled a cherry tomato off of it - which Shawn subsequently popped in his mouth right after I took a picture of it.  He doesn't like tomatoes but he has vowed to try everything that he grows.  He has spent hours weeding it by hand (which he never had the energy to do in my flower gardens!) and all of the vegetables are perfectly spaced to plan. 

Here are the green beans and zucchinis (front row), cherry tomatotes, roma tomatoes, and beef steak tomatoes (middle row), and two rows of sweet corn in the back.  I put in a special request for the zucchini so I could make zucchini bread later this summer - I can not wait!

Not shown in the picture are also carrots, potatoes, watermelon, and pumpkins.  The pumpkins are already trying to take over everything so we'll have to stay on top of those.  I hope one of the watermelons is ready in time to take it to the Lake this summer.

Some of the peas are already ready to be picked.  No one in the house eats peas but me but Shawn said he was going to try them.  If I have extra, I think I'll freeze some for salads - yum!

The boys tried their hand at picking peas today.  Let's just say that Colton has a bit more of a firmer grip than is actually necessary - a couple of the pods got a little squished!  And they wanted to pull every pod on the vine, not just the ones that were ready. 



Here's Colton showing off our harvest.  He really like picking them - he's a little country boy.  And he'll try everything once...or twice...or three times - even if it hurts!  This one is going to be the one that has my heart racing for the next 20+ years.

Peas on the menu one of the nights this week!


 


 And here is the first beef steak tomato.  Very excited for these guys to ripen - I love tomato on just about anything. 

The last couple of years Shawn has grown tomatoes for me on the Topsy Turvy.  I was not a big fan of the Topsy Turve - not because it didn't work but because is was ugly.  I hated having it hanging on my cute front porch and was even less of a fan of it hanging around on my new back deck.  Superficial, I know!

I can't believe how great everything is turning out!  Way to go, Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment