Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Dragonfly


All of my life I have been intrigued by dragonflies.  You always find dragonflies somewhere peaceful and quiet - which are my favorite places to be.  Whether it's wandering down a gravel road with the dragonflies flitting from place to place; or walking through a field with the dragonflies waving in the wind on a blade of grass; or out on the lake where the dragonflies hover just above the water. 

They are almost always alone.  Quiety introspective.    

Some of my favorite memories involve dragonflies.  When we first went to look at the cabin at the Lake of the Ozarks with the realtor, I remember walking around outside.  The grass was tall because no one lived there at the time.  I was walking up on the hillside, with the grass waving in the wind, and a dragonfly was buzzing about.  The wind off the lake was blowing my hair and it was a sweet summer day.  Of course my parents bought the cabin so I have many memories from there -  but the one with the dragonfly is my first.

Fishing with Dad - not a specific memory because I've done this many times, but many of them are similar.  Always in a quiet cove, away from the boat traffic, peacefully trolling about with only the sounds of the wind in the trees, the birds bustling about, and occassionally a fish jumping out of the water.  The dragonflies hover close to the water, mesmerizing me.

And out here - quiet summer days, a light breeze, quiet. 

You never know when a dragonfly is going to come into your life.  It's always unexpected and not always at the most convenient time - but it always make me stop and think.
  
I've thought about getting a tattoo of a dragonfly for years but have never done it.  So I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I believe I've found the perfect dragonfly tattoo for me.  I figure this way, I can always carry my dragonfly around with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment