Monday, May 30, 2011

Il Bel Far Niente

Evidently I'm getting too old to deal with five-hour jet lag in any kind of timely fashion as I think I've just today finally recovered from my trip to England last week.  I got to soak up some rays at while the boys napped and almost convinced myself I was at the beach with my new beach towel and coconut sunscreen (except for the sound of the horses snorting in the background...not very beach-like!)  After the boys got up we we went outside so Shawn could fertilize his garden.  The boys had a blast on the Gator - this is actually something they can do together that they don't fight over too much.  I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the inside of the Jeep - it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.  Shawn picked up some sweet corn on the way home and we grilled corn and burgers for dinner. 

I'm reading "Eat Pray Love".  I've just left Italy and am now in India (and I already miss Italy...).  In the book it reads "the Freudians say that unhappiness is the inevitable result of the clash between our natural drives and civilization's needs", or "Desire is the design flaw (of humans)."  I like it - it falls in line with that whole "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" theory and maybe even the "keeping up with the Jones's" adage.  So if this is really the only flaw of humans, we must be pretty close to perfect - which I often think of myself anyway ;) 

The other little tidbit I've picked up out of the book is my favorite so far - most likely because it is so descriptive of how I like to live my life.  Clearly, I need to visit Rome...

Il bel far niente - "the beauty of doing nothing"

"The beauty of doing nothing is the goal of all your work, the final accomplishment for which you are most highly congratulated.  The more exquisitely and delightfully you can do nothing, the higher your life's achievemnent." - Elizabeth Gilbert, "Eat Pray Love"

Happy Memorial Day!

They really dig the cupholders

And the horses don't seem to be bothered at all!


 Pasture Ornaments



      


Our "show" pony

The horses were pretty frisky today.  I even caught Buddy rolling in the dirt - I am thankful we hadn't just wasted our time brushing him out!
  
 
  







The tomatoes are coming in, the green beans, the peas, the sweet corn, zucchini, pumpkins, watermelons....the only thing we haven't found yet is the carrots, onions, and peppers.  Hopefully they're just late budders.

Tomatoes












Shucking Corn for Dinner




Voilà!


No comments:

Post a Comment