Sunday, May 8, 2011

Being a Mom

Me and my boys.


Colton showing me his card.

Me and my little man.

Me and my big boy.

My Mother's Day flowers from the boys.


On being a mom......

I never thought I'd be the mommy type.  I was always too busy doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it.  When I saw other people with children I thought to myself, "I don't think I can ever deal with that."  When I got close to 30 I thought I'd better hurry up and get it done if I was going to do it (special thoughts - yes, I know).  The whole time I was pregnant with Zack I never really got it.  I knew we were going to be parents but had no idea what that meant.  I remember when we were driving home from the hospital with Zack, I thought to myself, "What are we going to do with this baby when we get home?"  Of course he was three days old so the answer was surprisingly easy - lay him down somewhere.  As he started to spend more time awake I actually wondered what I was supposed to do with him all day.  Clearly my baby-experience was very limited. 

As the weeks moved on, his smiles, his laughter, his cries, his hugs, his kisses, his tears - all made me fall in love with him.  When we got pregnant with Colton I actually wondered how in the world I would ever love this one as much as I did Zack.  Zack was our golden child.  He was beautiful and everyone loved him (and I mean even strangers in stores).  When Colton was born, I took one look at him and fell in love all over again.  Colton was the most handsome baby in the world (he even had sideburns).  Colton was lucky because Zack had already taught me how to love like a mom.

When I had two boys I pictured a couple of good-looking kids from a J.Crew catalogue running around my house all the time.  This is what I got instead...




....still two very good-looking boys running around my house all the time...but J.Crew?  Not exactly!

As it turns out, I rather like being a mom.  There's giggles, smiles, hugs, kisses, laughter, amazement, wonder, and my ultimate favorite - singing in their sweet little voices.  There's nothing more wonderful than being a mom (especially to my two boys) and there's nothing in the world I would trade it in for.  It's not perfect all the time - there's fighting, screaming, biting, fit-throwing, back-talking, hitting...you name it - we've got it! 

But at the end of the day when the house quiets down, the frogs start to croak, the crickets start to chirp, and the sun starts to set - I am content.

Picture Perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment